Monday 25 June 2007

A Home-Slice of Barcelona

Photo 1
Photo 2

I probably didn’t do my due diligence before heading to Barcelona this past weekend. Because I was traveling with 8 others I figured I wouldn’t have too much say in where we would be eating…others would have received recommendations from friends/family/or guidebooks. However, what I didn’t take into account is that most people aren’t really too fussed about food. This weekend was more about good friends and good fun. Still there were a couple highlights, even if they are less about delicious freshly made tapas and more about comical Spanish culinary adventures.

The company was excellent and the sangria was cold at both of the restaurants we ate at on Friday and Saturday night. However, to say the food was not rock-star status would be putting it kindly. To sum up, both restaurants’ menu's had numbers and pictures of the food for easy ordering. Saturday night's dinner was a bit fancier than Friday's - the menus were plastic, not paper place mats like Friday (Photo 1).

Another funny little bit was the "Pizza Pastry" (Photo 2). Last week I had been sold by DU on this "amazing bakery" he was going to take me to. Now I know my standards are much higher than the average Joe - but what I got was the farthest thing from what I expected. I was taken aback because it literally looked like pizzas in the window - but no - they were pastries made to look like pizzas. Each one looked exactly the same! Complete with lime fruit slice "peppers" and maraschino cherry "tomatoes" - it might be one of the funniest things I had ever seen. I mean seriously folks; you even bought it by the "slice".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Barcelona didn't see it coming. Your standards are much, much, much higher than the average joe...

Will: did you like your Panera sandwhich?
Dana: It was pretty much the worst thing I have ever had. ever!

Dana said...

It really was a crap sandwich. ;-)

Unknown said...

hahah well I guess the first mistake would choosing a restaurant within a 5 block radius of placa catalunya. That and it has pictures of food on the menu!