Monday 2 July 2007

Yankee Doodle







I don’t feel one lick of guilt about admitting to the fact that the best thing about today’s BBQ adventure was the imported Sam Adams I had with my lunch. Since the 4th of July is on a Wednesday and I’ll be working away in the dark and rainy Work-ington, I “forced” RL to celebrate the 4th with me on Sunday, July 1st. The day entailed BBQ at a place called “Arkansas”, followed by a home-made American summer-time dessert at Chez Dana’s (see next entry).

Arkansas BBQ is a little joint located inside Spitalfields market. Complete with sticky bbq sauce bottles and plastic menus and cutlery, they don’t stand on any pretence.

The owner is an America guy named Bubba, who I am convinced made up the name to ham up (no pun intended) the whole Yankee in London thing. He must have picked the most honky-tonk name he could find to give Arkansas an “authentic” feel, whereas I’ll betcha anything his real name is Norman or something similar.

Bubba’s feet stuck to the linoleum and the floor seemed to sag just a little too much as he strolled our way to make some small talk. Straight away, he started telling us he’d only just found out he was distantly related to George Dubbya! And, low and behold, could we believe that his family had come over on the Mayflower? RL was doing most of the talking (I was doing the eye-rolling) so when I finally started speaking and he realised I was a fellow Yank he sort of did a double-take like he’d just been found with his hand in the cookie jar. He asked where I was from, and I told him Boston. Apparently, not the right answer. Bubba responded with “well why are you so nice then?”

I’m sure he was just joking around, but something about him was just a teensy bit annoying. Still, since he meant no harm, and seeing that Arkansas is closing for good and going kaput on the 4th of July this year – I let the Boston bashing slide.

On to the main event! I ordered the pork rib and RL ordered the beef rib. Both dishes were served with an assortment of quite unsavoury sides (no selection process, you get a bit of everything). There were a couple different coleslaws, a potato salad, and a bean, corn and pea salad. RL inquisitively asked if the bean, corn, and peas were “baked beans”? “Um, not quite” I said. I explained that nothing on that plate resembled any sort of “side dish” I typically enjoy when I go for some good BBQ. Where was the MacNCheese? The Sweet Potatahs? The Baked Beans? A TASTY coleslaw? I mean, for the love… England is a country that prides itself on it’s infatuation with baked beans. They put them on their toast and baked potatoes – Bubba couldn’t even find some Heinz to serve up??

OK, now to be fair I didn’t go to Arkansas for the sides, I went for the BBQ – so I was still willing to forgive the lack of tastiness surrounding my plate in exchange for some good meat. My pork rib (no, not ribs – uno rib) was actually quite tasty. The meat was tender and not too fatty and the sauce was actually quite good, a nice balance of sweet and vinegar. I wish there’d been at least 1 more! RL’s beef rib on the other hand was so-so. The flavour was pretty good, but the meat was a bit dry and fatty. It just didn't do it for me.

I think Bubba was trying to capitalise on the Brits lack of knowledge about what really good American BBQ is. Unfortunately at the end of the day – Arkansas just isn’t that good, isn’t that tasty, and isn’t that enjoyable of a venue. It’s sort of fitting and ironic that it’s closing for good on the 4th of July this year.

I’m sure it won’t be too big of a deal though, Norman probably has plans with this cousin, George Dubbya.

Note: There is totally a great market for some seriously good American BBQ here in London – there’s only one other place I know of…and it’s owned and run by a guy from Belgium. Any takers??

No comments: