Monday 18 June 2007

Coiffure Cocktails





Yesterday I headed to a new salon, Taylor Taylor to have a long over-due cut/colour. About halfway through my 4 hour appointment I started to have a bit of a panic. I realized that my lack of knowledge about the hair colouring/highlighting process was really going to be my downfall. About halfway through I realised that I hadn’t actually chosen the colours myself. Yuki, my colourist, who’s legally in the UK on a student visa to learn English had unbeknownst to me already decided. I swear I heard her say something like…”we’ll put a little colour in and then decide the highlights after.” Argh no, completely not. So you may be wondering – what on earth does this have to do with nibbles and/or tipples?

At Taylor Taylor you can tell that they really love what they do and enjoy being there. It also helps that they have a bar in the middle of the salon. Not a “pay as you go” type bar – but one that provides whatever type of liquid comfort you might enjoy (at no additional cost of course). I started out my consultation with a lovely cappuccino, followed not too far behind by a glass of champagne. I was feeling a teensy bit loopy from the residual affects of my cold medicine, and the chemicals from the colour seeping into my brain – so figured that would be it for me. About halfway through Yuki putting the colour in my hair, the lovely James popped over to me and said “I’ve just mixed the most gorgeous cocktail with fresh blueberries. Would you like one?” Now seriously folks, how could I resist? Side Note: One can probably read between the lines and now see how maybe I misunderstood what Yuki was doing to my hair and/or had a wee panic attack as to what I’d done to myself.

So when all was said and done, I was a bit shell shocked by the change. If popular opinion is any indication though – I think it’s been a winner – at least with the WBQ crew in Work-ington*. DU was so lovely and told me it was very Julia Roberts-ish and that I looked stunning (no prompting necessary)! I had another person tell me I looked younger (hip-hip hooray!) and PW told me I looked 100% better (um, ok…not entirely sure how I was meant to take this one)!
*Work-ington = Warrington, the northern city near Manchester where my current client is located.

No comments: