Thursday 21 June 2007

Hummus Pizza


Tonight I spent my second Thursday night ever here in Work-ington as I'm flying straight to Barcelona with a few of the WBQ crew tomorrow (yahoo to my first weekend away as a real Londoner)!

Since it's been a bit gloomy and raining, the plan was pizza and cards this evening. So while the others debated over Dominos vs. Papa John's (Papa John's winning out only to end up NOT getting delivered) - I made my favourite home-made pizza. Pizza as good as this (if I do say so myself) makes it ok to peer out of my corporate flat and see a highway, half a dozen smoke stacks, and some dodgy characters most likely doing unsavoury things near by. Viva la Work-ington!


Hummos Pizza


The thing with this pizza is that when you describe it to people they sort of pull a face and usually respond with something along the lines of “that sounds interesting”. Made best when assembled and cooked in the pizza ovens of the “Pizza Stand” in Weirs Beach, NH, it was still a success here in Work-ington, England.


1 pizza base
1 onion, sliced thinly
1tsp sugar
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil
1/3 -2/3 cup hummus
1 courgette*
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp water
1 tsp lemon juice
¼ garlic powder
As much or as little feta cheese as you like (I think I used about ¼ cup)

1. Preheat oven to 220 Celsius or 428ish Fahrenheit


2. Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in skillet over medium-low heat


3. Add sliced onion and 1 tsp of sugar and caramelise onions – you may be tempted to lose patience and turn the heat up on the onions, resulting in fried onions. While tasty in their own right – that’s not what we’re going for here! Relax, crack open a bottle of wine…and slowly cook the onions until they are lightly browned - make sure you stir frequently. (Personally I like them a bit well done, but that’s up to you – remember they will cook a bit more in the oven)


4. While the onions are cooking prepare the courgette. Note: I’ve also used broccoli on occasion and it’s equally tasty


5. Ok, so the chef in me would take you though the fancy shmancy way of preparing the veg – however, I’m going to instruct “straight-up” – exactly how I prepared….Slice the courgette thinly to start.


6. Place in microwavable bowl with 1 tsp olive oil, garlic clove, water, lemon juice and garlic powder. Cook in the microwave for about 1.5 minutes. Put aside


7. To prepare the pizza crust, take a dash of olive oil and spread on the base. On top spread the hummus as thickly or as thinly as you’d like – I usually spread about an 1/8 of an inch thick


8. Place onions on top, then courgette, and then sprinkle feta on the tipity-top of everything else


9. Cook in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes or until it’s to your crispiness preference

* Courgette = Zucchini (Why the American’s adopted the Italian word and not the French word I don’t understand?)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the pizza in Weirs Beach. They also have wicked cool bumpah cahs there.