Wednesday 25 July 2007

House and Home




I’ve recently returned from 10 days in the good old USA. Half of my time there was spent nose-down in a training session eating what felt like 6-7 meals a day. I think that the organisers of these corporate trainings must have done extensive research and decided that retention increases when the trainees are presented with an unlimited supply of 4 course meals, jelly bellies, m&ms, and ice cream.

The other half of my time was spent on glorious Lake Winnipausaukee, NH. In this instance, a few of the meals had been planned in advance through emails back and forth across the pond. Some of the highlights (of which you should all be extremely jealous):

1. Imagine a large wrap-around-porch over looking the majestic lake, the wine is chilled and the BBQ heats up – on the menu that evening:

- Raspberry and Passionfruit bellinis
- Filet mignons with sautéed mushrooms and onions,
- Paddy pan squash stuffed with fresh corn, scallions, and feta cheese
- Homemade rhubarb pie

Now, I can’t claim glory on this delicious meal- nor do my simplistic descriptions really do it justice. My creation of the bellinis (I used fresh fruit) and the sautéing of the mushrooms and onions are all I can take credit for - ARC receives the honor for the meal.

2. The piece-de-resistance of my time at home was devoured the night before I flew back to London:
- Massive lobsters stuffed with a lobster and seafood stuffing (photo 1)
- Homemade ice cream sundaes with strawberries from the farm

I ate and ate and ATE that lobster like it was my last meal on earth (or the last time for a long while before I’d see a New England lobster again).

My arrival back into London was with BC in tow for a short weekend visit. BC hadn’t been to London since George Michael was singing “Faith” on the radio and as the car service I ordered whizzed us from Heathrow to Buckler Court I thought about what the weekend might have in store. Particularly since when we drove by Madame Tussauds, BC asked “ooh, that looks like fun, can we go there?” Hats off to BC though, all thoughts of tourists traps were immediately abandoned in favour of London markets and fun excursions around the city. Leaving my luggage of Trader Joe goodies and Tarjay purchases unpacked we immediately started eating our way around London.

Sunday night found me home again. This time at the gastropub House, located in Islington. FM joined BC and me for an early Sunday supper. In typical fashion I insisted in ordering last. After having difficulty deciding I finally bit the bullet and ordered two starters in lieu of a main dish. The two dishes could not have been more Jekyll and Hyde than if you found Gordon Ramsey serving a filet-o-fish meal at McDonalds.

Firstly, my coconut confit duck salad with green mango, papaya & nam jim dressing (photo 2) sparkled with the most amazing flavours and texture. Everything was perfectly balanced. If I’d really been home I would have licked the plate and “5-second ruled” the piece of duck confit that fell on the floor.

Strikingly opposite to this was my second starter - Muscat pear and Ragstone goat's cheese risotto. Not only was it bleak and soulless looking (photo 3) - but it tasted that way too. Amazingly the risotto was thick, creamy, and porridge-like whilst managing to successfully have zero taste. The pears were hard and unripe to boot.

Luckily for me there was a light at the end of the tunnel. By not eating my flavourless glue, I was able to save room for dessert – which was not fussy in the slightest but truly enjoyable. Because Dana wouldn’t be Dana without a small special request here and there…I ordered the warm valrhona chocolate pudding with espresso ice cream with their home-made strawberry gelato instead of the espresso ice cream. Essentially the chocolate pudding was a decently good warm/soft chocolate brownie covered in home-made chocolate sauce and slivered almonds. The combination of the chocolate brownie with the strawberry gelato was nothing short of musical. Sometimes, every so often you come across a simple flavour combination that’s nearly perfect – this was it. The gelato tasted like fresh sweet strawberries spiked with a teensy bit of cream – balanced with the brownie – it was like a mini mardi-gras in my mouth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BC..is that me? I loved your description of the duck confit..at least I got props for not doing the tourist thing...you might not get so lucky next time...:) I still have dreams of the raclette...

XO