Wednesday 7 July 2010

Brazilian Carnival Beach Party




Doce de Leite (caramel) Cheesecake Bars


Gooey Residual Deliciousness

Keeping with the beach-tastic Club Tropicana theme from last month, June’s Guilty Pleasures was a feather and sequin adorned Brazilian Rio Carnival Beach Party. 

Back in 2005 when I visiting Rio I remember first falling in love with maracuja (passion fruit) before it became a popular staple in trendy restaurants and ‘body butter’ flavour.  I haven’t checked lately, but I’m guessing there might even be a fruit roll-up flavour that incorporates it. 

So I hunted and found a passion fruit cupcake recipe that I was very excited to make. Only to wake up on the day and realise it was going to be about 90 degrees out.  Hot weather and whipped cream frosting is clearly a recipe for disaster and schlepping them across town would have resulted in passion fruit road kill. While perhaps arguably less tasty, I thought I’d attempt something slightly more durable. 

Also super popular in Brazil is Doce de Leite (Dolce de Leche to you Spanish speakers).  Cheating a little and just using plain old caramel instead, I thought I could gussy up the bars with the sea salt and label them Doce de Leite cheesecake bars.  To be honest, it’s usually about 3 am in the Guilty Pleasures night when they get eaten with wanton abandon so I’m pretty sure my knock-off Doce de Leite slipped by even the most advanced dessert eaters.

Not nearly as 'durable' as I'd hope (not sure what I was thinking replacing the passion fruit cupcakes with a dessert that needs to be refrigerated) - they still tasted great as a late-night dancing treat.  Whilst a lot of the caramel topping had oozed over their tops and onto the bottom of the containers there was no shortage of people scooping up the glorified salted caramel bits.  My GP friends have no shame (part of my love for them and their appeal to me).

The following recipe was followed pretty closely:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Dulce-de-Leche-Cheesecake-Bars-359393 

  • If you can't find the Doce de Leite, just plain caramel will do...although in addition to the heat it might have also been why when left out the caramel topping got a wee bit too soft. 
Note: I solved this problem by placing the remaining bars in the freezer.  They are without a doubt - best eaten frozen.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) You've been to Brazil?? How is it I don't know this...
2) Are you trying to kill me by posting this?? I want it, I want it NOW! I think this could prove even more dangerous than those cupcakes you made for your bday...
ps. This is from Sylvia bc I don't have a google account. Shocking, I know...

Miss Candi Cupcakes said...

Sylvia! With the mention of 'those cupcakes' from my birthday I certainly would have realised it was you! Yep Brazil back in 2005. I'll make these for you. xx