Tuesday 12 May 2009

American Girl






You can take the girl out of the US but you can’t take the US out of the girl. It’s now been over 2 years since I first moved from across the pond, and with my recent news that I won’t be kicked out of the country any time soon, I've been able to sit back, relax, ponder (and bake).

Contrary to friend's and family’s expectations, in my time here I've not acquired a faux British accent like Madonna (ok, perhaps on a night out if I get wound up). BUT to be fair – in equal measures when living in Boston I would whip out a Southie accent when having a few beeahs with my friends. It's always a good giggle.

While I may have skipped Madge's accent I’d be lying if I said I’d not acclimatised in some ways. Clearly I now use ‘s’s instead of ‘z’s (I blame that on work). On the flip side I do stick true to my roots by keeping words like ‘folks’ and ‘dang’ active in my vocabulary. At work, probably what makes me stick out the most as a stars and stripes lover is that I’m perpetually on time to meetings. My British counterparts find it socially expectable to start 5-10 minutes late…oh and I smile. Apparently it’s not ok to smile at people unless you’ve known them for a few years. If you haven't and you do you are deemed:

A. a psycho
B. on medication
C. a smitten stalker OR
D. all of the above

Eh, don’t get me wrong – I love my “glass is half empty” life here in London and I wouldn’t want it any other way. I mean invariably the glass fills up, you just have to be patient for about a day - because no doubt it's going to start raining again soon.

There are many things that are Americana to their core:
- Baseball
- Burgers
- Plastic Surgery
- Chocolate Chip/Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I may have skipped the raisins because I was feeling greedy and wanted to double up on the chocolate instead, but last week I pulled out some amazing Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. Ironically, even though the cookie is reminiscent of home, one of the best recipes I’ve come across is by Ozzie chef, Bill Granger. They were snatched and loved up in equally quick measures. I think it must be because with over 2 cups of oats they are actually “healthy", right?

The recipe comes from Bill's book "Bill's Food".

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

150g unsalted butter
230g soft brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
125g plain (all purpose) flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt
235g rolled oats
175g chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy and smooth
3. Add egg and vanilla and beat until smooth
4. Add flour, baking powder and salt into bowl and mix lightly
5. Add oats and chocolate chips and stir to combine
6. Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls and place on baking tray
7. Flatten with a fork dipped in flour
8. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until pale golden
9. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely

1 comment:

jacki said...

i can attest that these are exquisite, just one small portion of dana's hospitality and a lovely reminder of home.