Sunday 16 December 2007

Sugar, Spice, and a whole lot of butter



It’s nearly Christmas when:

1. I’m obsessing about every little gift I plan on giving.

2. I’m annoyingly humming Christmas Carols during 75% of my waking hours.

3. JT may have brought sexy back, but I'm bringing Rudolph back with a bloody cold that's 2 Legit 2 Quit.

4. I’ve a penchant for all things sparkly, and am magnetically drawn to clothes in red, green and gold. If it’s combined all in one gorgeous frock, cheers to that.

AND

5. I start breaking out sticks of butter with wanton abandon, far too many cups of sugar, and excessive amounts of chocolate that would even make Mr. Hershey blush. Then, I bake.

Dark Chocolate-Chunk Shortbread: http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/articles/2007/12/12/chocolate_chunk_shortbread/
I followed the recipe I found in this week’s Boston Globe. I had some lovely Lindt 85% cocoa chocolate so used that in lieu of their recommendation. My taste buds are only at about 75% due to the cold, but danggit - it smells unbelievable in my kitchen at the moment. It's all about the butter.


Cranberry Coffee Cake - based on: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/107775
2 cups fresh cranberries

1 3/4 cups granulated sugar

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt1 stick

(1/2 cup - 113 g) unsalted butter, softened

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup whole milk


I also added 1/2 cup pecan pieces and 1 tsp cinnamon.


- Pulse cranberries with 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a food processor until finely chopped (do not purée). Transfer to a sieve and let drain while making batter.


- Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.


- Beat together butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy, about 5-8 minutes.


- Add eggs, then vanilla.


- Add flour mixture and milk alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour and mixing until just incorporated. Add pecans.


- Spread one third of batter in well-buttered loaf pan, then spoon half of drained cranberries evenly over batter. Top with another third of batter and remaining cranberries.


- Bake in middle of oven until golden brown and a tester inserted in center comes out without crumbs, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.


- Cool cake in pan on a rack 30 minutes.


- Serve warm or at room temperature.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Dana, honestly, this is your calling in life, altho you are a damn good RFP too. Sitting here on sunday afternoon, having just polished me toes, contemplating life and what I need to get at Waitrose. Looking forward to sharing recipes with you in 2008. Steph