Sunday 2 December 2007

Apple Pie


There were some residual effects this week of not having hosted/attended a proper Thanksgiving meal and they manifested themselves in the form of an apple pie.

The reality was that I was looking for any excuse to make one, but with FM away and my weekend plans including nights and days out instead of in, I wasn’t exactly sure who I’d be making this pie for. All well in good to make it just for me, but we’re now in December - a month of way too much holiday cheer wrapped around martinis, night’s out, bottles of wine, Christmas cookies, and Pret a Manger’s Christmas Lunch seasonal sandwiches. I certainly didn't need a personal apple pie sitting in my flat. Luckily, I was able to get the apple pie out of my system (and flat) by heading over to RL’s parents for dinner Friday night.

To tell the truth, I'd not actually made an apple pie before. Shocking I know, but similar to the strawberry rhubarb pie I made a few months back, the apple pie was always something that I might help make, but never owned. I was always delegated the somewhat more random desserts like chocolate caramelised pecan pie or the double key lime coconut pie. Like many of my desserts I made a bit of it up as I went along, and I’ve noted them as optional in the recipe below:

Pie crust: See August’s Strawberry Rhubarb Pie recipe

Filling:
10 Granny smith apples, peeled and cut into small pieces
¾ Cup brown sugar
¾ Cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
¼ Cup lemon juice
½ Jar fruit preserves (I used orange, but apricot would work well)
½ Cup chopped dried apricots (optional)
¼ Cup dried cranberries (optional)

1. Mix all ingredients together and let sit for 10 minutes. Taste, and add more sugar/cinnamon until it’s not too sweet or not too tart (unless of course, you prefer it more one way than the other). I err on the tart side so always start out using a bit less sugar.
2. Role out half of dough and place fruit inside
3. Cover with remaining dough and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar
4. Bake for 1 hour at 175 C or 350 F.
5. Let cool for at least 30 minutes

At RL's parent's house they served the pie with cream. Personally I opted to go without. The pie wasn't the most beautiful dessert I'd ever created, partly due to schlepping it on the tube and through the pouring rain for 45 minutes, but it was really delicious. The apple filling on it's own was amazing, and in an attempt to make this a bit healthier you could skip out on the crust and just cook the apples in a baking dish with a bit of granola on top for texture.

No comments: