Tuesday 22 May 2007

Wifebeater?


Apparently Newcastle Brown Ale needs to work on their UK branding (or maybe not if they are trying to stay away from the young yuppy professional type). One of my favourite standbys in the States and generally considered an average to decent brown ale there, it has a different type of reputation in it's native homeland. Affectionately known as "hooligan soup" here in the UK, I was informed by CW that in ordering a "Newky" I was also saying to the world that I was the type to hang out with men who wear wifebeaters and sport mullets, or better yet be sporting that mullet myself (Naty Light, anyone?). I probably should have realised something similar when I ordered it. I expected the typical 12 oz bottle of beer but instead was served a mama jama bottle - my guess it is England's take on the US 40. All that was missing was the brown paper bag. I did feel a bit silly trying to be lady-like and pouring it into a half pint sized glass, so I decided to make the most of the situation and simply proceeded to drink straight from the bottle. Ok, ok...I can't deny I got a few funny looks - but damn was it good - and much colder without the glass.

No comments: