Sunday 20 May 2007

Welcome to "A Bite of..."

Welcome to “A Bite of…” your one-stop-shop to find out where in the world (London at the moment) Dana is eating/cooking/baking/drinking.

It's Sunday evening and I've just returned back from the patriarch of gastropubs, "The Eagle," on Farringdon Road. Having walked down there from "North Islington" (aka Holloway road) FM and I worked up quite an appetite on our way. It was one those days that the thirst for red meat was coursing through my veins. There were only about a half dozen items on their lunch menu, and only one red meat option (so not the best selection for carnivores out there). I had a simple grilled rump steak sandwich...not exactly the most novel of meals, but boy was it deelish. Not sure what the steak was marinated in (my guess would be a mixture of olive oil, garlic, chilis, garlic, bay, garlic, oregano, and yes...a bit more garlic) but what the steak lacked in quality (let's just say rump steak isn't exactly what you serve the in-laws) it greatly made up in flavour. It was served on ciabbata bread with a bit of romaine and caramelized balsamic onions. The bread was so soaked through with this yummy oil I had to veto my "don't eat all the bread on the sandwich" rule. Perhaps I was feeling a bit piggy but the main thing the steak sandwich was missing was a nice fat vat of hot chips. There was a fine assortment of British beers on tap, unfortunately I had to sway away from them since I'm pretty sure I had a bit of the beer I drank last night still in my system...so what did I do instead...why simply order a glass of wine instead. Certainly wine is more hydrating than beer...??;-)

For my lovely American friends who may end up reading this - here's a little glossary for you:

1. North Islington (aka Holloway Road) - The quasi ghetto neighborhood in which I live (the yuppies are moving in and changing the landscape in record speed - but it's not there yet) which is 10 minute walk from one of the coolest areas of London - Highbury Islington/Angel

2. Chips - French Fries

3. Flavour - Flavor (ok, ok...I know you probably could have figured this one out on your own)

No comments: