Monday 30 June 2014

Springing into summer

I've lived in London for seven years now and in that time it's felt like I've had one looooong season.  A season of more or less average weather complete with cool air, grey skies and spitting rain.  Of course there has been the occassional dappling of sunshine (around the Olympics in 2012 as I can last recall) and a spot of snow (about three inches that closed Heathrow for about two weeks over Christmas and New Years 2012-13).

People ask me what I miss most about living in the US. Besides the obvious "friends and family" the next things mentioned are dunkin donuts iced coffee, real lobster, and four beautifully unique seasons.  New England so smacks down England when it comes to managing the art of spring, summer, fall and winter.

By some stroke of good luck (or global warming?) we've had a relatively nice (which translates locally into a "really nice") spring into summer.

To celebrate I finally bit the bullet, and after 7 years of living in London, bought some al fresco dining furniture. And even with my black thumb, bought some outdoor plants to decorate my little patio.  I imagine the furniture will long outlive the plants due to my uncanny ability to kill anything green and/or floral.

Yes, I am the woman who even managed to kill a "non killable" cactus.

I'm good with puppies and babies though.  Really, truly.

Needing to celebrate my new purchases I invited the girls around for Sunday brunch.  As luck would have it, the actual day they came over proved to be the more typical, "as expected", weather.  But not raining on our parade, in gingham and stripes we set up my outdoor furniture in the middle of my living room, opened the french doors, donned cardigans and pretended to be outside.

On the menu, homemade cornbread french toast with avocado and bacon, apple and elderflower mimosas, and english strawberries and cream with basil and lime shortbread.



Giving the allusion of al fresco

Home made cornbread with crispy bacon and avocado


Strawberries and cream with basil and lime shortbread

No comments: