Tuesday 18 February 2014

Love is in the air...and my BELLY


Love was in the air last weekend. It was evident in the overpriced roses on display in Sainsbury's, the sickly sweet decorations of hearts and cupids adorning shop windows, and the overpriced set-menus with “complimentary glass of fizz”. Even my work canteen had a surplus of love hearts decorating the cakes, sweets, and salad bar on offer. While I'm not one to say no to some spontaneous romance, this all seemed just a Bit. Too. Much.  Call me a Grinch (or whatever the Valentine’s Day equivalent is?!) but I find the notion of “a day for love” a little over-the-top. I mean really, shouldn’t that be most days!?! 

That said, thank you M for the roses, the dinner out, and the "TO MY GIRLFRIEND" card. I think in my (ahem) 25 years that’s the first time I’ve landed a triple salchow.

Anyway, on the topic of luuuurv...I have news.  I have fallen. HARD.  He was the BEST first date I've ever had. We watched Dirty Dancing 2x in a row.  I drank red wine from a mug!  And all this whilst wearing a Minnie Mouse onesie! Bliss!!! 

Not that that exact scenario of movie, mug and onesie really happened (lower head in mock sarcastic shame).

I only watched Dirty Dancing once.

Anyway, without further ado, I'd like you to meet the new love of my life.  He’s spicy and sweet...he's Mr. Bacon Jam.


Hellooooo Sailor
Lucky for you he's not monogamous!

Bacon Jam

Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook, Cheryl and Griffin Day

- 1 pound bacon

- 1 medium Vidalia onion, sliced

- 3 garlic cloves, minced

- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary

- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I used Cayenne)

- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar

- 1/4 cup freshly brewed strong coffee

- 2 tablespoons Coca-Cola

- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

- 1/4 cup maple syrup

- 2 tablespoons Kentucky bourbon (mine wasn’t from Kentucky, sorry)

To make the bacon jam: Roughly chop the bacon into 1-inch pieces. Render the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until the edges start to turn brown but the bacon is still soft. Drain the rendered bacon fat by setting a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl and spooning the bacon and rendered fat into the sieve. Let the bacon sit in the sieve while you caramelise the onions.

I was just shy of 1 pound bacon. Rookie mistake.  Next time, 50 pounds.

Add the sliced onions to the skillet, then add 1 tablespoon of the rendered bacon fat and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent and starting to brown, 10 to 12 minutes.

Add the garlic, rosemary, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, coffee, Coke, balsamic vinegar, and maple syrup, stir, and bring to a light boil. Add the drained bacon and bring back to a light boil, then turn the heat down to medium-low. You want to keep a low, steady simmer to reduce the liquid and thicken it without burning the jam. The process of reduction can take as long as 1 hour. If the jam becomes too dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water.  It only took about 45 minutes for me.

Remove the bacon jam from the heat, add the bourbon, and let cool for 20 minutes. Depending on your preference, you can use it as is or process the jam in a food processor to a less chunky consistency. I processed. Once it has cooled, you can put the jam in an airtight container and store it for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.  I also froze some and used it over a two week period.

In the cookbook they use the bacon jam in empanadas with cheddar cheese, suggesting a cornmeal empanada dough (which I’ve made before for use with a fruit pie).  I'm partial to a flakier empanada dough and seeing as I had some leftover in my freezer from my last batch I used that instead with about half the jam.  The rest of it was spread on toast, served (to myself) with a sharp cheese, and even mixed it into a few baked potatoes. 

I cried when he left.

Luckily for me I know how to get him back.

2 comments:

Emily T said...

Wow - I am definitely going to try this. I had to goggle what a Vidalia onion was though!

Dana said...

I just used a big old "normal" onion as couldn't find a Vidalia. Happy bacon jammin'