Wednesday 14 September 2011

End of summer blues (and rasps and currants)

Berry Blondie Batter

Sliced and Diced

How does mother mature know that when the calendar turns September 1st we automatically need to start thinking  – wool jumpers, tights, and boots?*  Forever in denial of this fact (I won’t be swapping over my spring/summer wardrobe for fall/winter at least until October**) I concocted some late summer berry blondie bars to capture the essence of the lingering summer days.

I started with a blondie recipe from one of my favourite all-time butter packed cookbook’s, Foster’s Market. However, wanting to summer-fy it up, to the batter I added a trio of berries (blueberries, raspberries, currants) as well as an extra cup of white chocolate (in addition to the semisweet chocolate the recipe already called for).  It was a bit random, I mean - I hardly ever bake with currants (they were on sale, hence the inclusion) but in the end, really very scrummy.  Little bites of buttery sweetness mixed with the tart and colourful fruit made for a mini mouth fiesta.

With my upcoming birthday I'll likely do a fair bit of baking (hosting a wee get-together, an apropos Guilty Pleasure theme of "Birthday Party" on the actual day, and treats for work), and am pretty sure I might keep the summer going just a little bit longer with another batch or two.

*In London this does not apply, as indicated by women everywhere wearing tights and boots on 75 degree days in July.  It’s something I will never fully understand. Yes, GT – I’m speaking to you.

**Current closet space in London is more or less 2 square feet so half of my wardrobe has to live under my bed and in suitcases behind my couch until it’s time to come out with the change of seasons.

No comments: