Tuesday 24 June 2008

Rotten Cotton Lemon Puffs


I was at my new client site today, piddling along, when I got up to grab some water. In their break room I found a large tin containing a variety of treats (I’d been told to help myself…so of course I did). I took the lid off, and the dialogue in my head proceeded to go something like this:

Dana’s head: “Oooooh, a sandwich cookie! I like those. I’ll take one.”

Dana takes bite #1.

Dana's head: “Oh weird. What is this? It looks and tastes like a Ritz cracker with lemon-flavoured toothpaste in the middle. Ugh.”

Dana takes 2nd bite (hoping it’s going to get better).

Dana's head: “Yuck. Oh, let me see what they’re called. Hmmm…package is broken but looks like Jacob’s Lemon P”

Dana takes 3rd bite.

Dana's head: “Why am I still eating this? It’s disgusting.”

Dana takes one last bite and finishes the cookie.

Today, the 24th of June, 2008 goes down in history as the day I ate the most disgusting biscuit/cookie ever. After googling "Jacob’s Lemon P” I learned they are officially called "Jacob’s Lemon Puffs". Please note, the first website I clicked on had a review that read...

“I'm sorry but now I have nothing good to say about Jacobs Lemon Puff's… an attempt to manufacture puff pastry in biscuit form which is hard and disgusting…a spot of …lemon paste.”

Obviously the Jacob’s website feels differently and described them in the following manner (my commentary in italics).

“Jacob's have been baking cream-filled biscuits for generations and they remain as popular today as they were a century ago (oh really? is it the same batch from 1908?). Smooth, soft cream (let's be honest...the word is pasty) sandwiched between two Jacob's biscuits…is distinctive (yep, agreement here - it certainly was THIS)…with flavour jam… making for a unique (again agreement) and tasty (ha! Is this a joke?) treat.

My advice – avoid Jacob’s Lemon Puffs like the Central line/Grand Central at rush hour.

No comments: