Monday 10 March 2008

Nuts for Islington (and pecans) PART 1






Last Sunday was just another example of why I am head over heels for North London. I know there's a very strong argument for the wide variety of other neighborhoods in the city. If I’d randomly ended up living in one of these places instead, like I did here - it would probably be the fixation of my appreciation too.

In the morning I headed out into the sunshine for Islington’s farmer’s market. In typical London form it started raining 10 minutes into my walk. Of course I was wearing sunnies and not thought to bring an umbrella. C'est la vie, I suppose.

The market is peanut-sized and open from 10-2 on Sundays. Whilst itsybitsy, it really has everything you need for the makings of the utmost Sunday supper. Combine that with the most quintessential and lovely British farmers and bakers who are passionate about the work they do and the food they sell, I spent nearly 2 hours tasting and chatting away about the current state of farming affairs (not so good) and Londoners love of farmer’s markets (quite good). This was all while hunched under their 2 inches of awning that covered their wares.

One thing (not surprisingly) I couldn’t get at the farmer’s market were pecans, which I needed for my Hidden Treasures (recipe below). Still, I certainly thought I’d find them at my local Tesco or Morrison’s. Nope. I had to go to three supermarkets to find pecans. Now, for anyone who reads this blog on a regular basis (hi mom) you’ll know I’ve a slight obsession with pecans in my baked goods. Cashews and pine nuts are great for savory, but when it comes to sweet, if a nut is waiting in the wings, I want to see that pecan centre stage. Apparently the walnut is the prima ballerina in the baking aisle of the supermarkets here in the UK. I don’t dislike the walnut, but have never really understood the big fuss.

Note: I’d just like to add that after all of this (chatting with the farmers and scavenger hunting for pecans), the rain did stop and the sun came back out...

...about 10 minutes after returning home. I was happy as a lark, but soaked and looking like a drowned rat.

For dinner that night I made a luscious roast chicken with some Maris Piper potatoes and purple sprouting broccoli, all purchased at the farmer’s market. The potatoes were of rock-star quality.

Roasted Maris Piper potatoes with garlic, truffle oil, and parmesan
1. Par-boil 4-5 small potatoes per person, drain water
2. Cut potatoes into small pieces and toss them with equal parts olive oil and truffle oil (I was making for 3 so used about 1 tbsp of each)
3. Finely chop 4 cloves of garlic (the more the merrier) and add to potatoes with ½ tsp sea salt
4. Cook potatoes in a pan under the roast chicken (so juices drips on top)
5. Stir frequently and cook until potatoes are of your crisp-level preference (even being par-broiled I had mine in the oven for nearly 1 ½ hours to get them perfectly browned)

Hidden Treasures
These cookies are very similar to a Mexican tea cookie. In fact, since I couldn't hunt down my grandmother's recipe I followed the one below from epicurious.com.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/105939

The main difference which provides the name "Hidden Treasure" is that inside the cookie you'll find a hidden luscious piece of chocolate. Historically this chocolate should be a Hershey's Kiss. Since these can't be found in the UK, I ended up using some Belgian praline chocolates that a friend had given me as a gift instead. Really, any chocolate will do. Next time, might give the cookies a go with some Buttons.

No comments: